The Outdoor Classroom workshop we held on Saturday April 2, 2011 was the first outdoor workshop held by CDCA. It was held at Kids International Child Care Center in Ellisville Mo. 25 participants came and participated in an outdoor classroom setting. We worked in created learning centers outdoors for over an hour. Here are some things that the groups included in their feedback reports. Please join me and others in continuing our discussion about using the outdoor classroom and learning through and from Nature! Here is a list of what participants said were new activities and Ideas that they learned about through the workshop.
1) Nature touchy feely box
2) Live insect boxes/containers
3) Windy day scarves use to mimic movement of trees, grasses
4) Using large and small tree cookies as percussion instruments
5) Making Grab and Go bags with instruments and props to use outdoors
6) Different uses for materials I already have in my center
7) Working with tree cookies cut in halves and fourths as fractions
9) Planning for outdoor experiences will lead to children spending more time outdoors
10) Using natural materials from the outdoors instead of plastic stuff
11) Including a bird watching station
12) Having Children sketch plants
13) Measuring things outside
14) The Tree activity (look,move,build and draw)
15) Creating an Outdoor Play policy
16) Using outdoor materials in art projects (like sticks) and do them outdoors
Again thanks to everyone who shared a new idea or activity they learned. Click here to see what participants learned in this valuable workshop by going to our You Tube Channel.
Look for more posts related to The Outdoor Classroom I hope that many of you were inspired and create all of those wonderful spaces and activites that you listed.
For others that may be reading this Join us on April 19 at CDCA from 630pm-830pm for The Outdoor Classroom Workshop.